Monday, July 26, 2010

Revival

I love me a high end department store. Rarely will I make a purchase at one, but they do serve as a source of inspiration for me.
Don't even get me started if one of these stores has a home department. Here, in Kansas City, we have Halls (don't expect much from the website, people).
The home department here is incredible. even my own mother who flies in from Chicago thinks it's pretty amazing.
We decided to peruse the department this weekend, and it did not disappoint. I found this amazing table that displayed the most gorgeous pieces I have seen in a long time. I had to know more about this collection. Maria, who is one of the nicest, and most knowledgable employees there began telling me the story of the artisit as I drooled, and added up the cost of the 3 pieces I was going bananas over (it totaled over $2000).

His name is Waylande Gregory, and was born IN Kansas of all places in 1905. Maria informed me that the pieces I was swooning over were replicas ones he began creating in the 1920's.
During his career, he was considered the best paid sculptor, and was in 172 major national museums, and had exhibits in over 11 countries. As soon as I got in the car, I couldn't google Mr. Gregory fast enough.
There's a lot to be said about this artist, but the condensed version is that his great great nephew, Bryan Downeys, a fashion entrepeneur is the one responsible for the "awakening" of this brilliant artist.
Here are some of the pieces I would LOVE to be the proud owner of:












I think it's a good time to start a collection of breakable art when I will have 2 kids running around, don't you agree?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

oh yes, I have eyed that collection many times at Hall's. The price tag made me sweat...it's absolutely gorgeous though!

Natalie {Designer Bags and Dirty Diapers} said...

what a fabulous collection! I would love any of those pieces! probably right about the kids though my 6 month old is into grabbing everything! but a girl can dream right....